Thursday, May 19, 2011

If I Knew Then What I Know Now

I have no regrets.  Not really.  Sure, I kind of wish I'd started riding a motorcycle 30 years ago, but I'm making up for that lost time by riding as often as I can now.


This time of year many people find themselves facing major life changes; graduating from high school or college, starting new jobs, starting college, getting married, moving away from home for the first time; big life transitional kind of stuff.

This morning on J93.3 we're talking about those kind of events and advice for those going through them and what you wish you knew back when you were going through them that you know now.  You can also post your comments on our Face Book page (there's a link over on the right hand side of this page).

For your edification I offer a few nuggets of advice, culled from my more than half a century of living.
  • Pray like it's all up to God (it is)
  • Work like it's all up to you (it isn't, but God often waits for us to start moving)
  • Every once in a while order something off the menu that you've never eaten before
  • Remember who you are and from where you've come
  • Be passionate about something
  • Don't begrudge anyone their good fortune
  • Hug your kids, your spouse, your parents every chance you get
  • Be reckless in demonstrating your love
  • At least once in your life ride a motorcycle in the rain
  • You can pray to win the lottery, but YOU have to buy the ticket
  • We each have two ears and one mouth, we should use them proportionately
  • Enjoy the ride, it's often more fun than reaching the destination

This list is far from exhaustive, but hopefully it'll get you thinking.  One of the best such lists of advice I've ever seen was in the form of a song, "Everyone's Free To Wear Sunscreen".  A little history on that song, along with the lyrics, is here.  A video version of the song is below.



No comments:

Post a Comment